Monday, December 11, 2023

Guest Writer: Addison S. Assessing Students' Knowledge

 Are you struggling to find a way for students to self assess their proficiency? Using the highlighter method is a great way for students to assess their knowledge in a discrete way without other students knowing. I was never a huge fan of students holding up a number to show their proficiency on a topic. I always caught other students looking around at others, changing their numbers based on their peers around them, and were never fully honest because they did not want to be the student at a 1 or 2. This summer, I came up with the highlighter method. I created posters in different highlighter colors that represented each level of proficiency. Pink represents level 1 - I don’t understand it yet, I need more help. Yellow represents level 2- I am starting to understand, but still need more support . Green represents level 3- I understand, I can do this on my own. Lastly, I added blue, which represents level 4- I’ve got it, I can apply this in a real world situation and teach others. Where students turn in their work, I have placed the posters and highlighters. Students then highlight their name based on the proficiency level they believe they are at. This is a great way to x-ray the room very quickly to determine next steps in learning! 

If you would like the posters, please feel free to email me at 91884@kaneland.org . 


No comments:

Post a Comment